Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Countdown to Sleep ... 2days 23h 8min

So...where do I begin? What is on my mind tonight after this long distance program began 16 days ago? SLEEP, SLEEP, and more SLEEP.

On a serious note, I am rather excited right now. I was feeling quite discouraged after my first few days here at the on site portion of our program. I was feeling like I wasn’t able to bring to the table what I have been online. I for one am one of those people I discussed that are able to communicate better online than in person. I believe that is because I tend to need time to think out my thoughts. It is a process for me. The first few days here the process wasn’t running smoothly. After having a critique with Ted a few hours ago (the second in one day) I am once again feeling motivated and upbeat.

I have been thinking a lot about the different articles that we have been reading for theory and they all continue hold the same connection for me. What can we do as a society to rid or discourage the act of segregation? How can we as designers impact the society with our designs to discourage this? Then again, are we supposed to? Maybe that isn’t for us to depict, maybe it is. I am struggling with this question. I am really intrigued by many of the currant cultural conditions, not just segregation but the impact of other conditions such as divorce and children and what this is contributing to our society. I don’t know if any of this is even making sense, but I am hoping you can follow my train of thoughts on what may be another sleepless or minimal amount of sleep night.

Here are the two main things I am thinking about if I were to narrow them down.

What my topic will be for the theory paper. I have narrowed it down to about 4-5 ideas that intrigue me right now all dealing with either children/family conditions or an item of segregation or shall I say recent attempt to abolish a segregation.
How the discussions we have had in studio are directly tied in with the theory class. I know that this has been done in an intentional manner, but I don’t believe I have ever had two classes so closely tie together as they have in this situation. There have been numerous discussions in studio that have brought the theory discussions into play and vice versa.

I anxiously await (I am by no mean sitting around waiting) the end of the week for sleep reasons, but I also can’t wait run with all of the above information.

1 comment:

Herb Childress said...

One of the comments that appeared yesterday afternoon is that "children" is a varied and diverse group. Even "teenagers" is too much -- 13-year-olds and 18-year-olds don't often hang out together or like the same things. If we're not going to move every time our kids have a birthday, we'll have to design some fluidity into our spaces.

I'm really looking forward to your research. And I'm glad that you and Kara have been working so well together -- don't let that go.