Thursday, August 30, 2007

Woops

Ok, so let me start with major mental block or what. I read the email and said great, by Thursday no problem. I just reread the email and it says BEFORE Thursday. WOOPS!

Any who… I have read my first article and I have put together my survey that I plan on distributing to as many schools as I can across the nation. I have Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and New York covered. I am posting the survey so I can get input from you all on the questions. I am keeping it pretty simple as I will have to read through all of these in time to report on them in my paper. I plan on distributing these surveys hopefully by the 7th and receiving them back by the 14th. So any comments you have regarding them please post them early so I can revise them as needed.

After reading the first article I am getting really excited about this paper. I have talked to many people about it and they respond by “Wow… that is intense. What a great topic.” So… I know I have my work cut out for me but I will get it done! One statement that stood out in the article was this: “… and reflected the untested but strongly held belief that children would be psychologically harmed if they had more than one home.” All I have to say to that is I am glad that they remarked that it was untested because I have a hard time believing this. The article went on further to remark that kids who experienced joint physical custody were impacted the least out of divorced children. A bit contradictory. So I still tend to believe that we can create a home or two that can help children adjust to the divorce. I guess as my research continues I will unveil if this is true or not.



Page 1

Page 2







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jaclyn,

Impressive work! I am eager to see what data this survey uncovers for your paper. This topic is SO close to HOME for me; and I don't mind telling you my daughter requests to be at her nana's or her dad's during times of discipline in our house. In addition, she loves our home together although she refers it to be MY home and she has not claimed any location as HERS yet. I constantly remind her that it is OURS. This may be the age she is at.
I am glad she is back and to be back in OUR home together. On Monday Jade asked my mom to buy me a bouquet of flowers. She is the first to ever greet me from work with flowers. I know I am doing something right.

Herb Childress said...

There's a fundamental question at the heart of all of this; how do children perceive "home?" EVERY home has its elements of comfort and safety, along with its elements of discord and loneliness. No one ever gets it "right." So what constitutes the center range, in which kids feel "at home" without the one far end of alienation and fear or the other far end of being so intimidated by the outside world that home becomes the teddy bear you carry inappropriately into your adult life?

Matt Anderle said...

Jaclyn,

I read through your questions and they look good! There are only a couple comments I might have to clarify the questions to the younger crowd. Instead of asking if they would like their homes to look the same physically, I would ask if they wanted their homes to look the same or designed the same...

Also, instead of saying aspect maybe change it to favorite thing...

Hope all goes will with your survey and can't wait to see what the results are!

Gus G.-Angulo said...

Jaclyn,
This is very interesting, especially because you are narrowing down all you questions to a very and difficult task (in my opinion): to get a very children-simple adult-complex answer from children.
The questioner is a great way to approach this and I am very interested to see the results of it. Maybe is because I have two kids, but now I am really attracted in understand how children might “perceive” a space and get to know what kind of value systems they have to give to any space significance in his / her mind.
I wonder if you will have to become a “child” to design a space that I child might like. If you need to become one to understand their need (just like the museum in Boston, were the floor heights are smaller to give the children a different value of that space.
The questioners are really going to help to try to understand what make a space “my space”, a room “my room”, a house “my house”
Gus